{everyone needs a side of sparkle}


11/08/2011

rustic apple tart


I wanted to post this yesterday, but the ladies and I were driving around aimlessly in an effort to experience some quiet and induce my lovelies into an early morning nap. Violet was up extra early  (thanks, again, daylight savings for continuing to f*ck up our sleep schedules) and a car ride is sometimes the only thing to restore some sanity.

Anyway, I made this rustic apple tart last week with some *superb* pie dough from Immaculate Baking Co. my local market (i love you, Market Basket) just started carrying. I stopped buying ready-made pie dough last year after I realized what nasty stuff is in most brands. So, I tried my hand at making my own. Pate brisee, as it is formally known, is not complicated to make, but it's messy and takes a good chunk of time to prepare (well, most of the time is spent cleaning up). Alas, our pie consumption dwindled and in a tearful nostalgia I thought about apple tarts, chicken pot pie, strawberry rhubarb pie... until that beautiful autumn morning when I saw something new. An artsy, quirky box of pie dough in the refrigerator case; Immaculate Baking Co. "No artificial ingredients...all natural," the box read. Hmmm, thought I as I flipped it over to read the ingredients. To think, it was true! I was in pie dough nirvana. My mind flooded with possibilities - I stashed two boxes in my shopping cart and giddily slipped into the checkout lane. That night I put the dough to the taste-test and made chicken pot and a rustic apple tart. The crust was practically glowing when I drew the pies from the oven (the perfect golden brown) and the flavor was outstanding. You might even say the whole experience was immaculate.

RECIPE (this is for one medium-sized tart)

1 tablespoon butter 
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced red delicious apples
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 package refrigerated pie dough (such as Immaculate Baking Co.)!
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
ice water

Preheat oven to 425° and set oven rack in the middle of the oven. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, stir in apples and spices. Cook for about five minutes to slightly soften the apples. Allow to cool. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into  ten inch circle. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper on top of a baking sheet. Arrange cooled apples in center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the edges of dough toward center, pressing gently. Brush dough with 1 teaspoon ice water and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Place the tart in the refrigerator for 10 minutes (this chills the fat in the dough to ensure a flaky crust). Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...