I know yesterday's post was about food, but I couldn't help posting this recipe. After a stressful start to the week (oh, how I wish it were the weekend already) making a simple lemon mousse was the best way to get my mind into a positive state. I've been itching to make pots de creme for months now, but my ego can't handle a dessert disaster (they can be very finicky to make). This mousse was easy-peesey-lemon-squeezey. I went light on the sugar for more of a refreshing, rather than super sweet, taste. Hero Hubby indulged and gave it a thumbs up. This key lime mousse intrigues me... I'll have to try this when I'm in more of an experimenting mood.
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
Lemon zest (for garnish)
- Whip the cream and sugar until it starts to thicken (don't over-whip)!
- Add lemon juice and whip just to thicken a bit more.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they start to form soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon cream mixture.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls or glasses and chill.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of lemon zest.