{everyone needs a side of sparkle}


1/10/2012

mousse my way


I know yesterday's post was about food, but I couldn't help posting this recipe. After a stressful start to the week (oh, how I wish it were the weekend already) making a simple lemon mousse was the best way to get my mind into a positive state. I've been itching to make pots de creme for months now, but my ego can't handle a dessert disaster (they can be very finicky to make). This mousse was easy-peesey-lemon-squeezey. I went light on the sugar for more of a refreshing, rather than super sweet, taste. Hero Hubby indulged and gave it a thumbs up. This key lime mousse intrigues me... I'll have to try this when I'm in more of an experimenting mood. 

Lemon Mousse
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
Lemon zest (for garnish)
  1. Whip the cream and sugar until it starts to thicken (don't over-whip)!
  2. Add lemon juice and whip just to thicken a bit more.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they start to form soft peaks.
  4. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon cream mixture.
  5. Spoon into individual serving bowls or glasses and chill.
  6. Garnish with a sprinkle of lemon zest.
Yeah, yeah, I know some of you are worried about the uncooked egg white - sheesh. If you must, you can use pasteurized eggs which are available in most supermarkets, typically located right next to the regular 'ole eggs.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...